Get HLT 540 Week 8 Assignment 2 Stakeholder Scenario discussion essay assignment help
HLT 540 Week 8 Assignment 2 Stakeholder Scenario discussion
1) Read and complete “Stakeholder Scenario.”
2) Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
Goal: To convince a group of people to use a specific, new type of antibiotic for patients pre-operatively in order to decrease surgical wound infections.
Scenario: You are a healthcare administrator that is trying to introduce a change in practice to a group of stakeholders. Your goal is to help them understand the rationale and need for the change, and to get a sense of the areas of resistance to the change. The change under discussion is to implement a new antibiotic to be given one hour before surgery starts as a way of reducing post-op wound infections. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Studies (CMS) have indicated that timely pre-op application of specific antibiotics is becoming a requirement and will be a publicly reported indicator on the CMS Web site for your hospital. Thus, institution of this new procedure is something you really need to pull off.
As the administrator in this scenario, you will hear the initial responses of each of the stakeholders. You will then be presented with several options for your response. Select the option you think is most effective.
ORDER an Original HLT 540 Week 8 Assignment 2 Stakeholder Scenario discussion
Review the stakeholders’ responses to the option you selected. According to their own perspectives and prerogatives, the stakeholders will respond in different ways to each choice. Your goal is to achieve some level of buy-in to the change.
- The antibiotic is new and people aren’t familiar with it.
- Requires administration within one hour of the actual surgery start time.
- Requires administration by IV.
- Adds a step to the busy pre-op nurse’s work load.
- Saves the hospital $28,000 per year.
- Research shows wound infections down 47% with this new antibiotic if it is administered in a timely fashion.
- Pharmacist: He’s learned about the new antibiotic through his research studies, and is excited about using it.
- Pre-op Nurse: She is worried about having one more thing added to the pre-op activities list she must complete before the patient goes to surgery, but she’s very interested in doing the right thing for her patients.
- Surgeon: He hates government mandates, doesn’t like to be told what to do, generally has a pretty good track record for his patients’ outcomes after surgery, but has no idea what his actual rates of wound infection are.
- Finance Analyst: It’s all about the money. Don’t make it harder by concentrating on anything other than the dollars.
Stakeholders’ Background Thinking
Pharmacist: I really like this idea, because this antibiotic is better and cheaper too. If we can standardize to this antibiotic, I can save money by stocking only one antibiotic for surgery. It will save my staff time in preparation also. This is a great idea for me and my department.
Pre-op Nurse: I am just worn out trying to keep up with all the changes they keep hitting us with. It’s hard enough to do my job and remember to do things differently and use different items. Why can’t they give me a break? Now I’ll have to start an IV as well as give a drug, and they are already pressuring me to get the patient ready for the OR faster. Sometimes I just want to go home!! But I got into nursing to help people, and if this really makes a difference, I guess I can suck it up.
Physician: The government makes me crazy! Those bureaucrats think they know how to practice medicine better than I do. The last thing I need is some ivory tower academic telling me what antibiotics to give! I’ve been doing this for 30 years, and I know what works and what doesn’t. The stupid hospital better shut up and let me do what I know is right and stop telling me how to be a doctor. My patients like me and that is what counts. I’m sure voting Libertarian in the next election!
Financial Analyst: I have been tasked to save this hospital hundreds of thousands of dollars this year, and this one change will save us a bundle. Why are they all arguing? This change could save their jobs! Don’t they get that it’s all about the money? I wish they’d just shut up and approve the change so we could go get lunch.
Order for online nursing paper writing help.The best nursing essay writers are available for assistance on HLT 540 Week 8 Assignment 2 Stakeholder Scenario discussion
CLICK HERE TO Get Nursing Paper Writing Help